If your dog is diabetic and you need to know what to feed him, then the following article will provide you with a comprehensive list of the kind of foods that your dog is allowed to eat, and the kind that he should avoid.
Diabetes can affect dogs just as it can affect humans. Heredity is one of the main factors why dogs can develop diabetes. Along with that, obesity and the inflammation of the pancreas are also two of the main causes that can lead to the development of diabetes in dogs. But of all the conditions that can affect a dog, diabetes, if diagnosed early on, is fairly easy to keep under control and thereby prevent further complications of the same. Diabetes can be kept under control by bringing a change in the diet of the dog. That is why it becomes important to have a clear understanding of the kind of food that can be consumed by these dogs. Let’s look at what these are.
List of Diabetic Dog Foods
Excess sugar is what causes the glucose levels in the body to rise and leads to the development of diabetes in the first place. That is why it is extremely important that you monitor the kind of food that you are feeding your pet dog. Commercial dog food is laced with excess sugar which can cause diabetes to go into overdrive, thus causing more complications. Make sure that you check the contents of the dog food before you buy it.
Go Easy on Carbs
Carbohydrates is another important factor that you need to consider. When carbohydrates enter the body, they are converted into glucose and thus, indirectly into sugar. It is therefore important to keep a check on the carbohydrate content that you are feeding them. Instead of regular carbs, one can include complex carbs in their diet.
High Fiber Foods
Foods that are high in fiber like brown rice, bran, and whole wheat grains need to be fed to the dog. These have to be included in because they have the ability to digest the carbs well enough and prevent the spiking of glucose levels in the body. Along with that, high fiber foods are easier to digest and they have a diuretic effect on the body.
There are certain other foods that can be included in the list as well:
- Raw vegetables are easier to digest for the dog and provide for the right nutrients that are required.
- Include grains like oats.
- Low fat meats can also be fed to the dog from time to time. Make sure you monitor the quantity and the kind of meat that you feed them.
There are certain important points that need to be factored in when it comes to following a proper schedule of feeding the dogs. Here are some of the points that you can look into:
- It is always better to feed your dog with homemade food rather than commercial dog food. That way one can be sure of the kind of food that you are actually feeding him.
- Make sure that you maintain regular meal timings and do not give the dog anything else as a snack between meals. This can spike the glucose levels in the blood stream and cause for further complications.
- Speak to your vet and follow the plan that they have provided for you. Each dog will have to be treated differently and that is why it is important to follow the instructions of your vet well. It might be that what is to be avoided by one dog can be consumed by another.
The importance of following a proper diabetic diet to keep the diabetes under control cannot be stressed enough. In that manner, this food list will help plenty.
Disclaimer – This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.