Found mainly in the desert and tropical areas, tarantulas have the capacity to harm animals bigger than their size. Though tarantulas are venomous creatures, they are among the favorite pets and are desired by a lot of people from all around the world. Tarantulas cause less harm to humans, but in case of a bite it can cause prolonged irritation. There are around 800 varieties in tarantulas, that come in different colors and sizes. A tarantula will be 2.5 to 10 centimeters long and have around 8 centimeters long legs. The largest arachnids will weigh about 85 grams.
Grammostola Albopilosum, Grammostola Rosea, Brachypelma Smithi, Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Grammostola Aureostriatum, Grammostola Pulchra and Aphonopelma Seemanni are some of the common tarantula species that are popular and are traded as pets. If you are a beginner and are interested in keeping a tarantula as a pet, it is important to remember that they need some care too. Read further to get some important tips.
Selecting the Right Tarantula
- Temperament is an important criteria while selecting a tarantula. Every tarantula species will be different in temperament and therefore, needs to be tackled in different manner. Chilean Rosehairs are among the good species to keep as pets if you are keeping a tarantula for the first time.
- Tarantulas are delicate species and need to be handled with care. Therefore, before buying this creature as a pet, the buyer must be aware about tarantula care and feeding. If by chance it slips from your grip it is likely to die of an abdomen burst. Also these spider species are venomous and might bite any object that comes in contact with it. Some spiders may even have abdominal hair, which acts as a defense mechanism when they feel threatened. If the abdominal hair comes in contact with the eyes and skin, it causes discomfort and irritation for a long period of time. In case the tarantula is missing abdominal hair, it is likely to bite, which could cause severe problems.
- The size also varies as per the type of tarantula you choose. Some tarantulas may be as wide as the size of the palm and may require food such as baby rats or birds. These big spiders have difficulty in moving and therefore, there are less chances that they might move out from the habitat set up for them. Tarantulas smaller in size move quickly and are likely to crawl out of the place they are put in. In case of smaller tarantulas they can be fed crickets and other small worms.
- Tarantulas occupy less space and are suitable to keep in tanks. The tank must have enough space for the tarantula to move around. You can even construct wonderful landscapes within the tank to make a comfortable habitat for the tarantula. While buying a tank for the tarantula, make sure that humidity is well maintained in the tank. Too much moisture may cause uncomfortable conditions for the tarantula.
- Female tarantulas live longer than the males. Their average lifespan ranges from 20 to 30 years. After mating and breeding, male tarantulas die within 4-5 years. In case you want a long term pet then female tarantulas make a good choice, while males are not suitable if you want to nurture a pet for long. Also lifespan will differ as per their type.
- If this is your first tarantula, opt for a well-known and experienced breeder. Purchasing a pet from a well reputed breeders can assure you healthy tarantulas and also help you in giving the right guidance in nurturing spiders.
- Even cost is an important factor to be considered while selecting a tarantula. With the availability of numerous tarantulas, their cost also varies. There are both cheap and expensive tarantula species available in the market. The cost of the tarantulas range from $20 to $300 and more. A well reputed breeder might sell it at a higher cost than the ones that are available in the pet stores.
Tarantulas are a very delicate species and need to be handled with care. Though it requires less maintenance, it still is a living thing and needs a certain amount of care too. Any pet should not be neglected and must be given due importance. Ignorance can cause poor health and even reduce the lifespan of your tarantula. Therefore, the above given tips must be well understood and kept in mind while you search for your perfect tarantula pet.