Colloidal silver has excellent microbial killing power and works well to combat various infections in dogs and cats. This DogAppy article elaborates more on the benefits of colloidal silver for dogs.
Colloidal silver has not been endorsed by the U.S. FDA for medical purposes. So, consult your veterinarian before giving it to your pet.
Colloidal silver is a solution composed of microscopic silver particles floating in water. The particle size of silver in the solution varies from 0.001 to 0.01 microns in diameter. Ideally, the color of the liquid should be golden yellow, but may vary from light yellow to deep golden depending upon the amount of light spectrum absorbed by the liquid. This colloidal liquid demonstrates antimicrobial effect, thanks to the presence of silver particles.
Silver has a long history of use by humans for treatment of various ailments. The element silver has long been known to humans as an anti-infection agent. In the early 20th century, silver foils were used for bandaging fresh surgical incisions because they displayed antibacterial properties. Also, food or water kept in silver vessels tends to remain fresh. This ability of silver to protect food from spoilage has been used for centuries. It is little wonder that colloidal silver that has 99.9% pure ionic silver particles is being used for various medicinal reasons.
Colloidal Silver for Pets
Colloidal silver is a one-stop solution against a wide range of infections in pets including dogs and cats. It acts as a natural antibiotic but also displays antiviral and antifungal properties. It is reportedly found to be effective against more than 650 different types of pathogens, including mold. Its usage is a proven way to send germs packing. Hence, adding colloidal silver to your pet’s diet can work wonders to boost its immunity. The colloidal liquid can also be given to pets like rabbits, birds, horses, goat, ferrets, and even tortoises.
Bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics is not new, but these pathogens easily fall prey to the antimicrobial properties of colloidal silver. In fact, it can also be used to get rid of antibiotic-resistant super-bugs. Moreover, unlike antibiotics, colloidal silver does not destroy the beneficial bacteria present in the gut. The fact that the colloidal is lethal against pathogens but does not cause any harm to their host makes it ideal for use. Even if your pet is put on prescription medication, you can still administer it to your pet. This is because colloidal silver does not interact and reduce the efficacy or amplify the effects of the drug.
The natural disinfectant can treat a wide range of infections in pets. Be it the bacteria causing tonsillitis or the viruses causing nasty stomach problems, colloidal silver can safely cure these infections and restore your pet’s health. From E. coli strains that cause food poisoning to staphylococcus bacteria that trigger skin infections, the colloidal liquid can work well to combat a wide range of infectious strains.
How Colloidal Silver Works?
Oxygen plays a key role in the metabolic processes occurring in bacteria, viruses, and fungi. All these pathogens utilize an enzyme to promote metabolism of oxygen. Colloidal silver targets this enzyme and weakens it considerably. As a result, the pathogens are unable to use oxygen for their survival, eventually causing their death.
Is Colloidal Silver Safe for Dogs and Cats?
Colloidal silver is non-toxic and has no odor; it’s tasteless, which means your pet may not even realize that something has been added to its water bowl. The colloidal liquid is found to be safe, provided it is given in the right amounts. When given in excess doses, it may affect the kidneys and even cause seizures. There is documented evidence of people suffering from argyria (skin turns bluish-grey) from excessive intake of silver-containing products. So you need to ensure that appropriate dose of colloidal silver is given to your pet to keep any unwanted side effects at bay.
Usually a 5 to 10 ppm strength colloidal silver product is used to treat various medical conditions in dogs and cats. As aforementioned, colloidal is silver is non-toxic and can be given internally, but the dose will depend upon the size and weight of your pet. For daily usage, to keep the pet healthy, usually a teaspoon or two of colloidal silver is mixed in the pet’s water bowl. In severe cases when your pet dog is extremely sick, you may to have use a needle-less 10 ml syringe to feed this colloidal liquid to your sick dog.
- A few drops of colloidal liquid in the eye or ear can be helpful to get rid of conjunctivitis and ear infections in cats and dogs.
- Soaking a toothbrush in this colloidal liquid and then using it to clean teeth can also help to treat dental infections in pets.
- Dogs suffering from a respiratory tract infection or a terrible stomach infection may require a teaspoon or two of the product to be added in their water bowl.
- There also have been reports of colloidal silver benefiting dogs suffering from arthritis. In some cases, regularly feeding the product has made arthritic dogs active like healthy dogs.
Apart from its internal use, it can also be applied externally to heal wounds in pets. Take a cotton ball soaked in colloidal silver and then directly apply it on the wound. Or else, you can use a spray bottle to apply it on the infected site. Unlike other antiseptics that cause a stinging sensation, colloidal silver does not hurt or cause any pain during application, yet is effective at destroying germs. In fact, wound care with colloidal silver is one of the quickest ways to speed up healing.
Colloidal silver can also be lethal against pet parasitic infestation of fleas, ticks, and mange. Its application can also help treat hotspots, dermatitis, ringworm, and burns in pets. Simply spray diluted colloidal liquid on its fur to get rid of the infestation.
On the whole, colloidal silver treatment can work to keep your pet healthy as well as allow sick animals to bounce back to vitality. It can certainly help to keep your pet’s health out of harm’s way.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a veterinarian.